Sunday 22 December 2019

The Christmas Shoes





I’ve been having lots of fun! An evening painting party, Emily’s band concert where she played a solo on her saxophone, a fun movie experience last night and lots of going out to eat with dear people. Oh and I’m caught up with The Crown. Makes me mad that I’ll likely miss the Dianna years!

It’s hard not to wait for the other shoe to drop. I don’t know when the pendulum of the good things the radiation brought about will start swinging back the other way. But I’m trying not to think about it. My doctor increased my nerve pain medication and it makes me drowsy which is ok too because if I know WHY then it’s not worrying. My next scan is not till mid January so I’ll know more then. 

I continue to plan what I call “the service.” I don’t think it will be your conventional funeral and I don’t want to spoil the surprises that people are kindly helping me prepare. It makes me happy to know there will be some swag to take home. I think I’ve found the perfect officiant who wants to meet me before the big day and there’s a poem I wrote 8 long years ago when I was first diagnosed with cancer. Wow have the people I wrote it to ever changed! Some were not even born yet and some have children of their own! So many bonus years and now hopefully many bonus months. Wow wow wow!

Speaking of shoes dropping. I didn’t just buy mustard I bought some new shoes too! Now that’s a commitment to living!

I wrote the following on Face book too but I want a record of it here too. Especially the part where I thank the people in Hamilton because they were fantastic!

Was supposed to go see my gyny oncologist in Hamilton today but we decided not to go while it was storming yesterday so of course it was nice today but honestly I probably wouldn’t have gone anyway, riding in a car hurts my shoulder and increases nerve pain. I don’t mind if there’s a fun cookie destination at the end of the ride but going to a cancer centre isn’t fun. To be fair the Hamilton cancer centre does in fact have a lovely volunteer pushing a juice and cookie trolly around, but the cookies aren’t up to snuff. Trolly, Up to snuff? Did I mention I’ve been watching The Crown? 😄

So what I did was stay at home with a very cuddly cat as you will see and called the gyny oncologist’s nurse and she’d been talking to the doctor and we all agreed that unless there was a problem in their field of expertise I’ll stick to Kitchener now. I can always call them if needs be. I thanked them (and I thank God) for 8 years of life after a cancer diagnosis that could have potentially been less than a year. Skin cancer is no joke in the vulvar region it can invade your lymph nodes like wild fire. It’s no joke anywhere really. No one should sun bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment