Thursday 10 January 2013

Good news

So. All systems full speed ahead!

Dr Almanful was very very nice. He drew pictures and explained that although there is a small area of my heart that is dead that is the only area that was blocked (no blockage right now, and the artery has adjusted well) and because of where it was, close to where it enters the actual heart, the arteries are clear from there back so even if they did an Angiogram test where they send the catheters up to your heart to look at the affected area because all my arteries are clear except where the damage was right at the entrance to the heart there wouldn't be more action to take anyway.

I don't need by pass. Whoot!!

I may exercise all I want. He said your only limit is your knee and was pleased about me swimming.

I will be taking a baby aspirin a day and be given a mild beta blocker and I'm sporting one of these...

for two weeks. That's my Tin Tin hair look and my second fiercest shirt. So because I've had a few episodes of feeling some fluttering they want me to wear the monitor for two weeks. It's pretty cool. I press the button if I feel anything funny and it goes back 45 seconds plus it kicks in if IT detects anything. If it fills up I can send the info in over the phone. I can take it off to shower. Harrison took a few tentative shots at biting the cord so I'll have to watch that.

Dr Almanful said my heart is strong and that there is no reason I can't have the surgery. I'll call the knee surgeon today and they'll continue to get that into the works hopefully over the next 2 months. Just talked to the knee guy's secretary and she said it'll probably be "March, April, could be sooner who knows?" Clearly it's not an exact science!

Obviously the thing is to continue to exercise and lose weight but Dr Almanful could see that I understood that and didn't lecture. Unless something comes up I see him in a year.

Overall good news. You know what? I've been feeling so bombarded by media about the dangers to my heart because of my weight that as unpleasant as it is to know that I had a mild heart attack overall I feel relieved that nothing worse happened and that I'm going to be fine. I think I was worried for a long time that something bad was wrong so knowing what's what, and that it's manageable is a big relief.

Just have to kick this cough and I'll be golden.

Thanks for caring and cheering me along.

1 comment: